Olallieberries are one of Cambria’s favorite treats. They naturally come into season in early summer, but fortunately, you can purchase olallieberry preserves year-round in our coastal town.
Olallieberries can be found in recipes used in restaurants all over Cambria, from salad dressings to desserts. One of the most popular olallieberry hotspots is Linn’s Fruit Bin, where they grow their own olallieberries on Linn’s family farm. (It’s actually the primary crop!) Linn’s is famous for its olallieberry pies, but they also have olallieberry muffins, sauces, preserves, syrups, vinaigrettes, and even salsas available for purchase.
There are so many recipes for making your own delicious olallieberry creations at home, but we will share one of our favorites. This recipe is courtesy of the Olallieberry Inn in Cambria, where they serve delicious meals from their state-of-the-art kitchen. Watch our video about these yummy treats, and then make them yourself! (Disclaimer: they’re so delicious, they won’t last long among friends and family.)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (10 oz.) jar olallieberry jam or pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a saucepan; remove from heat.
- Stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and mix well. Mix in nuts.
- Add brown sugar and butter mixture to the flour, oat, and nut mixture; mix well.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture for the topping. Press the remaining mixture into a greased 9”x13” baking pan. Spread with olallieberry jam and sprinkle the topping evenly over the jam.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Enjoy!